The Iowa Humanities Gallery is a changing exhibit space located on the ground floor of the Old Capitol Museum. The gallery was made possible by a gift from the Hanson Family in memory of Clement T. and Sylvia H. Hanson.
The Keyes Gallery for Arts, Humanities & Sciences is located on the first floor of the Old Capitol Museum. It is named in honor of Margaret N. Keyes and in memory of Charles R. Keyes.
Located on the second floor, the Senate Chamber is the venue for many public events, lectures, classes, and concerts. It was the meeting place for the Iowa Senate, and is where Iowa's First General Assembly founded the University of Iowa.The Senate Chamber is equipped with a hearing loop. Switch hearing aids to "T" or "T-coil" to connect to the system. Assistive listening devices are also available.
The rotunda area at the top of the reverse-spiral staircase is a flexible area for small temporary exhibits, receptions, and events. The wooden Corinthian columns in the rotunda are among the only original woodwork remaining in the building.
The Supreme Court Chamber is located on the main floor of the Old Capitol Museum. During Iowa's early days as a territory and state, the three justices of the Iowa Supreme Court judged all trials at the state level from the raised bench. In 1849, the Supreme Court chamber also became the home of the United States district court for the western region. It served as both district and state courts during the 1850s. From 1859-1862, this room housed the State Historical Society. After the 1920s rehabilitation the room was used as classroom and office space.
The rotunda area around the beautiful reverse-spiral staircase is a perfect location for small receptions and events.
The Discovery Center, which opened in 2006, houses the Iowa Youth Diaries Project and is also a changing exhibit space.