"Internship" to us means work experience for academic credit, typically for college students. If you're looking for other kinds of involvement, check our volunteer and employment pages.
University of Iowa students
Internships for course credit or transcript annotation can be arranged during the summer or academic year.
Many of our interns come from the Museum Studies certificate program. Museum Studies students should arrange to meet with a staff member to talk about opportunities for 1-, 2-, or 3-s.h. internships.
Students in other departments should start by talking to your own department about how to arrange a for-credit internship with us. Once you know what your department allows and requires, we are happy to discuss potential projects.
You can also arrange either a zero-credit-hour internship with transcript notation or a for-credit academic internship through the Pomerantz Center's internship programs.
Students from other institutions
We may be able to arrange internships to meet your home institution's requirements for credit. Contact a staff member in your desired area of experience to find out if there are appropriate opportunities. We also welcome students in our volunteer program.
Current internship opportunities include:
- Education and public programming
- Communications, social media, publicity
- Digital & online exhibits
- Collections management & conservation
- Visitor Services
- Other? Let's talk! Use our staff directory to get in touch.
Examples of past internship projects:
- Installing objects in a temporary exhibit of Southwestern ceramics
- Arranging a historical walking tour of food in downtown Iowa City
- Digitizing museum archives and historic photographs