The Old Capitol Museum is located on the University of Iowa Pentacrest at the corner of Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue in downtown Iowa City. We are the building with the gold dome.
Transportation and parking
Mapping and GPS: In many cases, Old Capitol or Old Capitol Museum will work. If you need a street address, use 1 North Clinton Street, Iowa City. Keep in mind that there is no parking immediately adjacent to the building.
Follow signs for the downtown Iowa City business district, the Old Capitol area, and the University of Iowa museums.
Parking: We do not have our own parking lot. We recommend parking in the university's Iowa Memorial Union parking ramp or the city of Iowa City's Capitol Street garage. The university and the city also operate several other downtown parking ramps and metered street parking.
- Enter the Iowa Memorial Union (IMU) ramp from Madison St., across from the IMU building. To get to the Old Capitol Museum, take the elevator to Level 4 where you can walk out to the T. Anne Cleary Walkway. Turn right on the walkway and cross Jefferson Street to the Pentacrest. Old Capitol is the building with the gold dome in the center of the Pentacrest.
- The Capitol Street garage is at the corner of Clinton St. and Burlington St., adjacent to the Old Capitol Town Center (also known as Old Capitol Mall or University Capitol Center [UCC]). Walk north on Capitol or Clinton or through the mall, toward the Pentacrest. Old Capitol Museum is the building with the gold dome in the center of the Pentacrest.
- University of Iowa parking information
- Iowa City Downtown District parking information
- City of Iowa City parking information
Drop-off: There is a passenger drop-off/pickup zone on Jefferson Street just north of the museum.
Public transit: We are close to Iowa City, Coralville, and UI Cambus stops for many bus routes. You can find route information for all three bus systems through the Bongo system. The Downtown Interchange (Bongo stops 0001 and 0002) is half a block away, on the south side of the Pentacrest. The Macbride Hall (Bongo 0120), Clinton & Iowa (1030), Clinton & Jefferson (7207), and Pappajohn (1021) stops are also less than a block away.
By Bicycle: Bike racks are located northeast of Macbride Hall and south of Schaeffer Hall. Riding bikes on sidewalks on the Pentacrest is prohibited.
School and Tour Buses: School buses can park in the commercial loading zone on Jefferson Street west of Clinton as long as a driver remains with the bus. Unattended parking is in the university's Lot 11 or the Hancher Auditorium Parking lot. Please talk to the visitor services coordinator if you have additional questions about bus loading, unloading, or parking.
Our accessible entrance is located on the south side of the building. Please ring the bell and a staff member will assist you. There is an elevator that serves all floors of the museum.
Docent-led tours are free during regular hours, but must be scheduled in advance. Tours begin at 9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, and 3:30 (with additional tour times on Thursday evenings). Each tour block can accommodate up to 30 visitors. For detailed information on tours and field trips for schools and other large groups, please contact our tour coordinator at (319)335-1508 or check our education pages.