The site of Iowa City was chosen by Chauncey Swan, John Ronalds and Robert Ralston, three commissioners appointed by the legislature.
The contract for the design and construction of the new capitol was awarded to John Fran
Construction of Old Capitol began with the laying of the cornerstone on July 4,1840. Nine days later, the project's architect, John F. Rague, resigned, leaving Chauncey Swan, one of the territorial government commissioners who had selected the site of Iowa City and the capitol, to oversee construction.
The Fifth Legislative Assembly of the Territory of Iowa convened in the building--the third capitol of the territory.
Ansel Briggs, first governor of the state, is inaugurated in Old Capitol.
Iowa became a state in the Union.
The University of Iowa was founded in Old Capitol.
The State Historical Society of Iowa was founded in Old Capitol.
The legislature moves the state capital to Des Moines, and the Old Capitol becomes the first permanent building of the University of Iowa.
In 1868 the University took over the Iowa Law School of Des Moines and made space fo
Between 1921 and 1924, Old Capitol underwent a major structural renovation.
UI President Willard Boyd announces that the Old Capitol would be restored as a historic monument.
In 1970 the building's historic restoration began, directed by a committee led by Professor Marga
Old Capitol reopened to the public on July 3,1976, as a National Historic Landmark and museum.
At 8:30 a.m., contractors started an accidental fire in the cupola of the Old Capitol Building while using a heat gun during renovations to the structure.
More than a year after the 2001 fire, a replacement bell was installed in the cupola of the Ol
After a year and a half of waiting, hundreds of onlookers watched as the 12,000-pound gold do
Nearly five years after fire destroyed the dome and cupola, the Old Capitol Museum reopened to the public with