Old Capitol houses entire university

1857-1863

Engraving of the Pentacrest, c. 1863

After the legislature moved to Des Moines, Old Capitol housed the entire University until 1863, when the University's second building, South Hall, was occupied. Chancellor Amos Dean opened a library in 1857 and a museum of natural history in 1858, both on the second floor of Old Capitol. The building also provided space for all offices and classrooms--including a chapel, an armory, and a fire station.