Supreme Court Chamber
The Supreme Court Chamber is located on the main floor of the Old Capitol Museum. During Iowa's early days as a territory and state, the three justices of the Iowa Supreme Court judged all trials at the state level from the raised bench. In 1849, the Supreme Court chamber also became the home of the United States district court for the western region. It served as both district and state courts during the 1850s. From 1859-1862, this room housed the State Historical Society. After the 1920s rehabilitation the room was used as classroom and office space.