The UI Pentacrest Museums have re-opened to campus and community visitors with limited hours and capacity. Please review the safety measures section below before visiting.
Temporary limited hours
Friday & Saturday: 10 am – 5 pm
Saturday: 10 am – 5 pm
The health and safety of our visitors, staff, & students is the top priority of the Pentacrest Museums. We all play an important role in preventing the spread of COVID-19. Here’s what the Pentacrest Museums are doing – and what you can do – to help mitigate the risk on campus:
- Follow all CDC, State of Iowa, and university COVID-19 guidelines
- Masks: face masks worn over the nose and mouth are required for your entire museum visit.
- Social distancing: A six-foot distance must be maintained from those not part of your visiting group. Plexi-glass installations at docent desks are in place.
- Capacity: All visitors must abide by gallery capacity limits.
- Directional signage: Be mindful to follow one-way directional signage, including designated entrances and exits.
- Cleaning: Increased cleaning of knobs and shared surfaces
- PPE: Sanitizer stations and additional masks at gallery entrances
- Health: Visitors who are not feeling well for any reason or (a) have any COVID-19 Symptoms (b) have had a positive COVID-19 test in the past 14 days, and/or (c) have had close contact with anyone confirmed or suspected of having COVID-19 are asked to postpone their visit for another day.
- Personal items: Our coat racks are currently out of operation. Please plan to pack light.
- Risk: An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. Those visiting the museum do so at their own risk to such exposure.
- Visitors who are unable to follow our face covering and physical distancing guidelines may be asked to leave the premises.
We will be monitoring the success of our re-opening plan as well as our guests’ willingness to adhere and will adjust accordingly.
Additional changes and information during this time:
- In-person visits by the public groups are all self-guided at this time.
- In-person visits by college classes (on and off campus) may be arranged with Visitor Services: firstname.lastname@example.org
- UIPM is now offering interactive, virtually guided tours of both Old Capitol Museum and Iowa Hall at the Museum of Natural History at no cost to all educational groups (on and off campus). Contact Visitor Services to arrange.
Special events and space rental services look a little different during this time. Inquiries on potential arrangements can go to our Events & Operations Coordinator.
We will continue to offer educational opportunities and public programming online until further notice:
How to Access Our Services
- All public programming will be offered online via Zoom.
- Museum offices will be available by appointment only.
- For researchers, records for about 14,000 vertebrate specimens (mostly birds, some mammals) are available on VertNet, GBIF, and iDigBio. Search for us under institution code SUI. UIPM Director of Research Collections can assist with loans or other special access to collections.
- We can arrange in-person & virtually guided tour visits tailored to meet instructors’ needs and can also provide support for students working on museum-based assignments. Contact Visitor Services to arrange.
When You Visit Our Office In-Person
- Please be sure you have scheduled an appointment in advance.
- Wear a face covering and follow university COVID-19 guidelines.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) in the form of hand sanitizer, disposable masks will be available at the entrances of Macbride Hall and the Old Capitol.
- Contact Us via email with additional questions and for special arrangements.
Pentacrest Museum staff will provide regular updates regarding program offerings, events, and service changes through several channels: